Can you put a metal roof over shingles?
In plain language, the answer is positive. That is you can put a metal roof over shingles. But it’ll be better if you check with your local building department before doing it. Because the building rules of some areas allow one-time re-roof over a layer of shingles, though it differs from area to area with permission of roofing over two layers. Luckily, building rules of most of the areas don’t bother if it’s going to be roofing over only one layer.
Quoting from Section 1511.3.1 of the 2018 International Building Code (International Code Council Series) 1st Edition, “The installation of a new roof covering over an existing roof covering shall be permitted where any of the following conditions occur…2. Complete and separate roofing systems, such as standing-seam metal roof panel systems, that are designed to transmit the roof loads directly to the building’s structural system and that do not rely on existing roofs and roof coverings for support, shall not require the removal of existing roof coverings.”
Which means it’s completely okay to put a metal roof over shingles. Moreover, you’ll be happy to know the benefits of metal roofs if you are thinking about putting one.
Let’s have a look at them.
Benefits of Metal Roof:
- Needs less repair than almost all the other materials. Almost once or twice in a total lifetime. So you can be hassle-free.
- Long-lasting and can bring a change to the look of your home. If your roof is looking old, then it can be the best solution for you because it can bring a completely new look to your home.
- Some of them are fire resistant which means if anyhow fire breaks into your home your roof will be okay afterward.
- Energy-efficient and can keep the home temperature low. It keeps your home cool, so you can enjoy a nice atmosphere inside your home even in summer.
- It is very much lighter in weight considering shingles.
- As it has the nature of interlocking panels it is also wind resistant.
- Made of recycled material and can be recycled after using which is very much eco-friendly.
- It is very much adaptable as it can fit in versatile designs and can be of different colors.
These were the basic benefits of a metal roof. When it comes to the point of reroofing with metal, you will wonder to know the extra benefits. When you’ll put metal roof over the existing shingles on your roof, you’ll not need to rip the existing ones. That means no extra cost of labor. Again it’s providing an extra layer covering your home which means extra shield.
There is no light without darkness. So, you need to be conscious of the disadvantages also. Metal roofs can be expensive than shingles, sometimes it’s tough to afford. However, you’ll get what you pay for as they are long-lasting and needs almost no repairing cost. Be careful before installing it over shingles, don’t forget to fix the roof leaks if there is any and replace rotten sheeting.
Ready To Get Started with Us?
We provide high standard roofing services to our residential & commercial clients from roof repair & roof installation to roof maintenance & roof inspection in Winchester VA